What to Look For in a Clip-On Reading Light
Clip-on reading lights are a dime a dozen. You can find them in almost any store. For this reason, it might be easy to think there’s no art in picking a light for your reading and working needs. However, there are plenty of nuances to be aware of when choosing the best clip-on reading light. Here are a few things you should keep in mind while shopping around:
- Portability: Clip-on lights are designed for an on-the-go lifestyle, making portability a top trait. That said, some reading lights tend to be more portable than others. If you prize portability above all else, it goes without saying that smaller is usually better.
- Light Strength: Working at night may entice you to buy the brightest clip-on possible, but not every situation requires a floodlight. Doing projects in a small nook or in an area that lets in natural moonlight usually requires lower light strength, while bigger and darker rooms likely need a bit more. It may be best to get a clip-on light with adjustable lighting for your needs.
- Charging: Most technology today charges via USB, which also goes for clip-on reading lights. However, some still use removable batteries if you want to cut costs.
- Durability: Even the best of us can be a bit rough with our clip-on lights, which goes double if the kids are involved. If you plan on keeping your light for the long haul, it might be best to spend a bit more to get one with a more durable finish.
- Style: Of course, the most important thing is to have a reading light that does its job. However, lights come in many shapes, styles, and colors, with some bound to do a better job at grabbing your aesthetic appeal than others.
Best Overall: Vekkia Bookmark Book Light
- ✓ Super lightweight
- ✓ Healthy battery life
- ✓ Multiple color options
- ✓ Doesn't need a charging cord
- ✗ Lacks range of use
- ✗ Thin material could damage easily
The Vekkia Bookmark Book Light is the best clip-on reading light for those looking for a solid, all-around product. This clip-on light is designed to give you the perfect mix of bright lighting that’s gentle on the eyes so you can work for long hours into the night without any eye strain.
This clip-on light comes equipped with a push-button switch and uses a diode that gives the user three intensity settings. So you can create your level of comfort. A small yet sturdy design allows you to take your light with you without any hassle, and it’s efficient enough to run for up to 20 hours. When it’s time to recharge, simply plug the clip-on directly into a USB port for a quick boost and get back to reading in no time.
Vekkia Bookmark Book Light
This clip-on is an all-around option for all of your lighting needs.
Best Budget: Hongyu LED Light Clip
- ✓ Lots of light
- ✓ Covers a wide range
- ✓ Clip doubles as a base
- ✗ No rechargeable battery
- ✗ Cheaper build
If you’re on a strict budget and only need the essentials, the Hongyu LED Light Clip is the clip-on light you need. Don’t be fooled by the price. This light clip comes with not one, but two LED light fixtures, each sporting four true-color LEDs. The fixtures are connected to flexible but sturdy metal extensions, and the base clip also doubles as a stand, allowing you to use it as a regular clip-on or as a mini lamp.
It’s worth noting that this light clip doesn’t use more modern charging styles. Instead, it can be powered by three removable AAA batteries or through a direct current with a USB cable. That said, it’s designed to last quite some time before a battery replacement, so you can enjoy getting some quality work or leisure time under this light fixture.
Hongyu LED Light Clip
The Hongyu light clip allows you to cut the price without losing quality.
Best Premium: Vekkia Rechargeable Reading Light
- ✓ Plenty of LED lighting
- ✓ Settings for any occasion
- ✓ Lights last for a long time
- ✓ Amazing battery life
- ✗ More expensive than the rest
Vekkia makes the list again with the Vekkia Rechargeable Reading Light. This top-of-the-line clip-on light offers all the specs you could ask for (and even some you didn’t), so you know you’ll have all your lighting needs taken care of.
This rechargeable light comes packed with 14 powerful LED lights that provide warm white light to the user. Nine light settings protect your eyes and allow customization to fit any task. The wide-mouth clip has protective padding inside to keep your books from being damaged, and its powerful rechargeable battery gives you up to 70 hours of continuous use. Add in its elegant yet durable design, and this clip-on light will quickly become the only one you’ll ever need.
Vekkia Rechargeable Reading Light
For a doable price, Vekkia's best is a clip-on that can't be beaten.
Best in Versatility: Dewenwils Flexible Book Light
- ✓ Extremely portable & durable
- ✓ Easy to use
- ✓ Fun Colors
- ✗ Only two settings
- ✗ Less coverage compared to other lights
There’s a good chance that if you’re looking for a clip-on light, you’re going to be doing a lot of late-night stuff on the go. Luckily, the Dewenwils Flexible Book Light is designed to go with you. This lightweight clip-on clocks in at 1.3 ounces and is under five inches long, so it’s easy to pocket and use whenever you need it.
The warm, white LED lights have two brightness settings — half brightness and full brightness — with focused lighting designed to create a private reading space. The LED lens can swivel 90 degrees both clockwise and counter-clockwise, as well as 45 degrees downward, making it easy to use from any angle. This flexible light clip lasts up to 8 hours on maximum brightness (more than enough for an entire work session) and gets a full recharge via USB in just over an hour. Oh, and the color options are a nice touch, too.
Dewenwils Flexible Book Light
Pack plenty of power with this tiny light that's ready to go wherever you roam.