Amazon has reduced the price of Google’s Pixel 3a smartphone to $299 ($100 off), a deal that you would otherwise have had to wait until November 28th to get, which is when Google plans to launch its Black Friday sale.
Google’s Black Friday sale will involve big savings on much of the company’s hardware, including up to $80 off the Nest Hello Doorbell, $200 off the Pixel 4 and 4 XL, as well as the same $100 discount on its Pixel 3a and 3a XL smartphones. Note that while the rest of the deals launch on November 28th, the new Pixel 4 and 4 XL will be discounted starting on the 24th. Considering it arrived only a few weeks ago, seeing a Pixel 4 for $599 instead of $799 is tempting.
If Google’s latest smartphone is out of your price range and you’d rather not wait another 10 days to save $100 on the Pixel 3a, Amazon has you covered (note that only the standard 3a is discounted and not the 3a XL, which is basically the same phone with a bigger screen).
We gave the Pixel 3a a score of 9/10 when we reviewed the device back in May, naming it the best mid-range handset money could buy at the time while praising its camera, battery life, and incomparable value—a statement that is only more true with the device being so heavily discounted right now.
Here’s a page with the full rundown on the Pixel 3a’s specifications, but as we said in our review, if there’s any reason to buy this phone, it’s for the camera. Is it the best smartphone camera ever? No, but you’d have to spend about twice as much to find a comparable camera on another handset, largely thanks to Google’s incredible post-processing software.
Key features for the Pixel 3a’s 12.2 megapixel rear camera include:
- Night Sight: Boost performance in low light conditions without using flash.
- Astrophotography: A new mode for capturing stellar pictures of the night sky.
- Super Res Zoom: Uses digital image wizardry to increase the image resolution beyond what the sensor and lens could otherwise capture.
- Top Shot: Snaps a burst of HDR+ photos and automatically picks the best image.
- Google Lens: Can recognize objects and text seen on the Pixel 3a’s camera.