Whether you’re backpacking across the world or simply riding the subway to work, it pays to invest in a quality anti-theft backpack. They’ll make it easier to keep valuables like laptops and headphones safe from brazen thieves while still offering you functionality.
Table of Contents
- What to Look for in an Anti-Theft Backpack
- Best All-Around: Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 Anti-Theft 25L
- Best Premium Pick: KORIN ClickPack Pro Minimalist Anti-Theft
- Best Budget Choice: Oscaurt Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
- For Tall Users: KOPACK Scan Smart Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
- A Slim Option: KOPACK Slim Commuter Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
The best anti-theft backpacks will keep your belongings safe and secure while still being functional and easy for you to access and use. Given that most of the people using anti-theft backpacks are either commuters or serious travelers, the bags should also be comfortable to wear all day. Here are the elements you keep in mind when looking for one of these backpacks:
- Anti-Theft Countermeasures: These bags are specially designed with security in mind, and as such, usually have at least a few anti-theft countermeasures built into them. Most commonly, these features include slash-proof material or a built-in steel wire, hidden zippers or pockets, lockable straps and zippers, RFID protection, and more. We discuss these in greater detail below.
- Storage and Organization: Any quality backpack worth its mettle will offer you a decent amount of space for your belongings in addition to keeping them protected. Whether you need a bag large enough to hold a laptop and lots of other gear, or something smaller for day trips, make sure the bag you choose has plenty of room and even a few pockets for holding smaller items in place, like earbuds or chewing gum.
- Comfortable: Since you’ll likely be wearing them for a good chunk of the day, these bags should also be comfortable. We favored bags with a good amount of high-quality padding in the straps and back of the bag so you can stay protected and comfortable all day no matter what adventures you’re enjoying.
- Accessible (to You): Good anti-theft backpacks will keep thieves out but still make it easy for you to get in and use the bag whenever and however you need to. They’ll have your back without getting in your way. Quality bags will have quality components capable of lasting for years without getting stuck or breaking.
- A Stylish Design: Just because these bags have a serious and tactical purpose doesn’t mean they should look boring or utilitarian. A great anti-theft backpack will still offer a stylish design you’d be proud to tote around, and the bags we included in our lineup are a perfect balance of form and function.
Our vote for the best overall anti-theft backpack is the Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 Anti-Theft 25L. It boasts a well-rounded combination of theft deterring countermeasures, including three exterior pockets with lockable zippers, a lockable security clip, and an RFID-blocking pocket. Plus it’s designed with an eXomesh slashguard mesh that’s a lightweight and flexible steel mesh for reinforcement.
The 25L bag has a large storage capacity that can easily fit a 15-inch laptop, notebooks, a tablet, a camera, a purse, a jacket, and other accessories. Aside from the lockable exterior pockets, it also has a padded and suspended interior notebook sleeve, two side pockets for water bottles or umbrellas, two zipper interior pockets (including the RFID-blocking pocket), and a key/wallet clip.
Padded shoulder straps can be adjusted from 26.8 to 36.2 inches and help the bag stay comfy during all-day wear. The backpack itself measures 18.9 x 11.8 x 6.7 inches and weighs just 1.84 pounds. It’s made of durable water-resistant polyester and comes with a five-year warranty. With its large size, hefty countermeasures, and lightweight design, the Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 is our top recommendation for commuters and travelers alike.
Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 Anti-Theft 25L
The Pacsafe Metrosafe LS450 has multiple robust anti-theft options, a large storage capacity, and a stylish comfy design.
The KORIN ClickPack Minimalist Anti-Theft backpack was an easy choice for best premium pick because of the artillery of anti-theft features it has and for its stylish design. The backpack has a retractable metal wire lock that you can use to secure your bag to a pole, YKK double layer explosion-proof zippers with a double coil chain that’s resistant to puncturing, RFID-blocking pockets, a slash-proof material design that’s 40% stronger than Kevlar, and a water-repellent finish to keep your valuables dry.
The bag measures 17.7 x 11.8 x 6.3 inches, with shoulder straps that adjust from 20 to 30 inches. It weighs 2.2 pounds and is large enough to comfortably store 15-inch laptops. It has multiple interior slots and pockets—including a few that are removable so you have more control over how things are organized and where things are stored within the bag—an external USB charger built in so you can keep your devices charged while you’re out and about. It even has built-in reflectors that’ll help keep you visible while walking at night. The ClickPack Pro is the obvious choice for anyone wanting solid security and a sleek form.
KORIN ClickPack Pro Minimalist Anti-Theft
Enjoy premium design and organization and high-level anti-theft countermeasures with this bag from KORIN.
While the affordable Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack from Oscaurt doesn’t offer as many bells and whistles as the other options on our list, it’s still a quality choice for those keeping to a budget. As far as security goes, it offers strong anti-cut fabric all around, hidden zippers for the main pocket, and a secret pocket at its rear. Plus, it has a reflective stripe on the front for safer traveling in dark scenarios.
With its minimalist design, the bag has a cool modern look, and comes in four colors: black, dark grey, light grey, and blue. The bag features a built-in USB charger as well, for charging your phone or other devices on the go by connecting a power bank. Within the bag, there are separate compartments for storing laptops (up to 15.6-inches), notebooks, and other accessories, which are each lined with velvet and elastic bands.
Curved, padded shoulder straps are adjustable to your specification, and the EVA-material back makes for a breathable and comfortable fit. At a mere fraction of the price of most other bags, the Oscaurt offers nice anti-theft features and a premium-looking design.
Oscaurt Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
Keep your gear safe and stylish with this budget-friendly anti-theft backpack from Oscaurt.
If you’re tall and looking for a bag that’s a better fit for your size, the KOPACK Scan Smart Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack is a great choice. It measures 20 x 12 x 5.9 inches and has a clean design with a highly organized interior that’ll keep your gear in place and even make it easy to pass through TSA checkpoints. It comes in two colors—light grey and dark grey—and has a built-in USB port for charging your devices while you travel (but you’ll have to supply the power bank).
For security, the Scan Smart has no visible zippers or pockets at the front of the bag. It also has a hidden pocket at the back of the backpack and is constructed from anti-scratch materials. the bag boasts a few nice extras, as well, like a built-in rain cover, a shock-proof inner container for protecting your valuables, a rugged ABS bottom that keeps your bag from getting dirty when you set it down, and an in-strap pouch for storing your ID, credit cards, and cash. The Scan Smart’s large size is perfect for tall users or those looking to carry more while ensuring any gear inside remains safe.
KOPACK Scan Smart Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
This taller and larger bag from KOPACK is a great pick for those wanting a tall backpack.
Large bags with abundant storage are nice, but they’re not always the right call. If you have a smaller frame or are wanting a secure bag to take along on day trips, we recommend the KOPACK Slim Commuter Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack. It measures 17.7 x 11.8 x 4.3 inches, but can still hold thin 15-inch laptops. More than ten interior slots can hold notes, a smartphone, and other small accessories, and it has a USB cable for charging devices on the go (though you’ll need to provide your own power bank).
Despite its slim design (which comes in five fun colors), the Slim Commuter packs a punch security-wise. It features a hidden laptop compartment with a zipper that can be locked to a D-shape ring for extra privacy. It’s constructed with a textured tear-resistant Oxford, and features super strong anti-puncture 4-tooth zippers for the main compartment. With its comfy S-shaped straps and slim secure design, the Slim Commuter is a great pick for smaller users and day trip excursions.
KOPACK Slim Commuter Anti-Theft Laptop Backpack
This slim anti-theft backpack from KOPACK is a great option for day trips or for those with smaller frames.