AMC recently announced it would be competing with MoviePass. Now, Sinemia is coming at MoviePass from the other side, with competitive family plan pricing.
So far, neither MoviePass nor AMC’s A-List have family plans. If you and your partner or kids want to go see movies together, you’ll need a separate subscription for each one of them. It’s a weird feature to lack, given that not everyone even agrees on whether it’s weird to see movies alone (it is not, fight me). MoviePass says a family plan is coming, but Sinemia has beaten everyone to the punch with a set of family plans at a variety of price points.
Sinemia doesn’t just have one family plan. It has a lot of them, just like it has a lot of options for individual plans. At the cheapest, you can spend $15/month to get one ticket for three people every month. If you want to bring your group of three to the movies twice a month, the price bumps up to $25/month. And for $29/month, your group can add IMAX or 3D movies. On a per-person basis, this makes ticket prices pretty cheap—it’s hard to beat $5 a head!—but it’s also a lot less flexible than MoviePass, which aims to let you go to the theater as often as you want.
The plans can also scale up with more people:
For three people:
- $15/month for 1 movie night.
- $25/month for 2 movie nights.
- $30 for 2 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
- $45 for 3 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
For four people:
- $20/month for 1 movie night.
- $35/month for 2 movie nights.
- $40 for 2 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
- $60 for 3 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
For five people:
- $25/month for 1 movie night.
- $45/month for 2 movie nights.
- $50 for 2 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
- $75 for 3 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
For six people:
- $30/month for 1 movie night.
- $55/month for 2 movie nights.
- $60 for 2 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
- $90 for 3 movie nights including IMAX and 3D.
Overall, if you and your family go to a lot of movies, then you could save yourself a good bit of cash. However, Sinemia’s plans are less about getting the option to go see every movie in the world, and more about saving on a monthly night out or two. None of Sinemia’s plans allow for more than three movies a month. Which, if we’re honest, is fine for most people. So, if you only have a moderate desire to go to the theater more often, want to bring a few friends or the family with you, and want to save some cash, Sinemia might be more attractive for you than MoviePass or AMC’s A-List.