The 2020 Steam Winter Sale is upon us once again and, as per usual, there are hundreds of fantastic games available at great discounts. But you don’t need to spend hours roaming Steam to find the games worth picking up, we’ve handpicked 30 of our favorites and compiled them together here so you can save some time while also saving money.
20% – 35% Discounts
This is where you’ll find the most recent titles on this list. New games don’t usually go for huge discounts, but that doesn’t mean you can’t save a few dollars here and there.
- Hades (20% Off): This critically acclaimed top-down brawler will have you battling legends of Greek mythology throughout the underworld. Use a variety of weapons and enjoy the excellent story as you fight through the various stages and face off against bosses. This is one of the best games of the year, so you’re not going to want to miss out on it.
- Spiritfarer (25% Off): A beautiful hand-drawn story about death and letting go, Spiritfarer sees you managing a boat delivering people to the afterlife. You’ll manage resources, navigate the world, and build relationships with your passengers before finally saying goodbye.
- Horizon Zero Dawn (20% Off): The beloved Playstation 4 exclusive Horizon Zero Dawn made its way to PC this year with an … alright port. It had some issues at launch, but with the recent patches the game is in a much better state, so what are you waiting for? Go fight some robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow while exploring one of the best sandbox worlds in gaming.
- Jackbox Party Pack 7 (25% Off): The Jackbox series holds some of the best multiplayer games you’ll ever find, and the most recent entry, Jackbox Party Pack 7, continues that tradition. This game comes with five new minigames, including an updated version of the iconic Quiplash game, to enjoy with friends and family. The best part about it is even if you’re playing remotely, only one person needs to own the game—everyone else can join for free through their own device.
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord (20% Off): Mount & Blade: Warband is a beloved open-world RPG, and after 10 years the sequel has finally come around to improve on the formula. Travel through an epic medieval world, customize your character’s appearance and skills, and build a large army to tear through your enemies. There’s plenty to do in single-player and there’s even online PVP if you’re feeling competitive. Just so you know though, the game is currently in Early Access, with no release date given for the full game, so it’s fair to expect some bugs.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (33% Off): One of the largest releases the gaming industry has ever seen, Red Dead Redemption 2 tells the excellent story of Arthur Morgan in the wild west. There’s a heavy focus on realism in both the gameplay and visuals, and it all comes together to form a cohesive and spectacular world.
- Return of the Obra Dinn (25% Off): While Return of the Obra Dinn doesn’t impress visually at first glance, it’s one of the most unique games on this list. You play as an investigator looking into the disappearance of the 58 people aboard the titular ship, the Obra Dinn, with the ability to travel back in time to see their death. You’ll need to keep a close eye out for clues to each person’s identity all while connecting to the dots to find out what really happened.
- Risk of Rain 2 (20% Off): In this action-packed roguelike, you and up to three friends (online only) fight your way through dangerous environments. With loads of different items to pick up, a large cast of characters to play as all with unique abilities and hordes of enemies to fight, every run of Risk of Rain 2 will be different from the last.
40% – 50% Discounts
Getting into the more substantial deals, you can find some quality titles with prices just about slashed in half.
- Sea of Thieves (50% Off): If you’re looking for a great title to pick up with some friends, Sea of Thieves is it. After nearly three years of consistent updates, this pirate game’s got plenty of content to cover and it’s all designed around completing it with a crew. Whether you’re fighting other players or finding treasure, Sea of Thieves is a great time all-around.
- Outer Wilds (40% Off): Explore a detailed simulated solar system in Outer Wilds. As you fly from planet to planet, you slowly uncover the secrets of what happened to the past civilization that once inhabited the unique worlds. Tie that all together with a unique visual flair and great acoustic music and Outer Wilds is sure to be a game that sticks with you.
- The Outer Worlds (50% Off): From the people who worked on Fallout: New Vegas and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic comes a new sci-fi open-world RPG in the form of The Outer Worlds. Complete side quests, explore the lush environments, and have some fun shooting down your enemies as you help shape what happens in this award-winning title.
- Subnautica (40% Off): Be prepared to dive deep into the alien waters of planet 4546B. In Subnautica, you’ll need to manage your resources, keep yourself fed and hydrated, and, most importantly, find a way off this planet. Unlike most survival games, Subnautica does have a story and a definitive end, so you won’t be stuck messing around until you get inevitably get bored—there’s always something to work towards.
- Terraria (50% Off): Terraria is a wonderful blend of RPG-like progression with survival-focused gameplay. You can loot dungeons, find powerful weapons, build an expansive base, and fight towering bosses either by yourself or with friends on a server. The 2D style is a bit unusual for the genre, but it gives Terraria a unique feeling compared to most survival/crafting games.
- Starbound (50% Off): Starbound takes heavy cues from Terraria gameplay-wise, but it tells a proper story and, most noticeably, takes place in a massive procedurally generated universe. Progressing through the story grants new items, abilities, and mechanics to explore. And even once you burn through the content included in the base game, the modding scene for Starbound is massive, and you can spend hundreds of hours exploring the user-made content.
- Death Stranding (50% Off): From the man behind the iconic series Metal Gear comes Death Stranding—and despite how recent the game is, you can snag it for a pretty great deal right now. This a weird game and it’s not for everyone, but the unique world and gameplay means it’s a game that if you like it you’re really going to like it. You go back and forth delivering packages while needing to discover methods to traverse the difficult landscape. And while that may sound dreadfully boring, Death Stranding throws enough curveballs your way to keep things interesting.
60% – 75% Discounts
While most of the games on this list are older, they’re still great games that deserve to be a part of your library. And even then, there are some recent titles we were able to find.
- Dark Souls III (75% Off): The Dark Souls series is well-known for its ultra-difficult boss fights, and Dark Souls III is no different. As you explore the dark and grim world, you’ll constantly face off against monsters and bosses with a combat system that definitely takes some getting used to. But once you finally beat that boss that’s knocked you out countless times, the satisfaction is immense.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization VI (75% Off): In this strategy title, you’ll play as a large variety of different leaders and cultures from throughout history in an attempt to win through one of five win conditions. Whether you want to reach the stars before other nations or just take them over with pure military might, Civilization VI gives you the freedom to play how you want.
- Metro Exodus (60% Off): Set in the post-apocalyptic wastelands of Moscow, Russia, Metro Exodus adapts the story and setting of the novel Metro 2035 to video games. The atmosphere is thick and it’s easy to get lost in this world for hours, but you’re not wandering around aimlessly. Metro Exodus tells a great story alongside featuring tense first-person gameplay. In the genre of singleplayer-focused first-person shooters, Metro Exodus is one of the best titles around.
- The Witcher 3 (70% Off): One of the most well regarded open-world games ever released, The Witcher 3 sees you playing as the monster hunter Geralt as you complete various jobs and work towards completing the main quest. The fantasy world is detailed and unique and the story told constantly impresses, regardless if you’re working on the main storyline or sidequests. If you love the open-world genre, you owe it to yourself to play The Witcher 3.
- Stellaris (75% Off): Stellaris has you managing a civilization on the grand scale of space. You’re given plenty of freedom to customize your species as you see fit with various perks and abilities—you can even write out your own backstory. With many ways to play including role-playing heavy stories and difficult strategic challenges, Stellaris is sure to appeal to many players.
- Cities Skylines (75% Off): Remember those classic SimCity games? Well, Cities Skylines is aiming to take their place as the best city-builders ever made. You can design and maintain your city with the game’s easy-to-learn but still complex creation tools. There are plenty of choices to make, and the game has great support for user-created mods and assets.
- DOOM Eternal (67% Off): The latest entry in the DOOM series, DOOM Eternal continues the modern formula of DOOM (2016) as you defend Earth from the armies of Hell. Enjoy the high-action chaos of DOOM all with spectacular visuals, plenty of new guns, and even online PVP.
- Borderlands 3 (67% Off): Return to the unique post-apocalyptic world of Borderlands in Borderlands 3. This series is all about cooperative looting and shooting with a billion possible gun combinations available at your fingertips. So, grab a buddy (or three) and enjoy one of the most action-packed multiplayer titles you’ll ever see.
- XCOM 2 (75% Off): Defend the Earth from invaders as a rag-tag resistance group in XCOM 2. The series is highly praised for its unique turn-based combat and rightfully so. You’ll need to take into account your gear, the landscape, and the enemies you’re fighting if you want a chance at coming out on top. Throw in some great visuals and plenty of customization options and XCOM 2 is a strategy game that’s sure to keep you hooked for a while.
- STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order (60% Off): Get ready to experience the Star Wars universe like never before in this galaxy-sprawling adventure. Play as Cal Kestis, one of the last Jedi remaining in the Galaxy as you fight against the Empire and slowly build back your force abilities. This game brings to life the fantasy of playing as a Jedi excellently and has a fun and engaging story to boot.
There aren’t many games that go on such major discounts, but the few that do are appreciated all the same.
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War (80% Off): In this mix of strategy and RPG gameplay, you’ll traverse the massive open-world conquering fortresses and taking part in massive battles. Whether you’re leading the charge with your massive army or sneaking behind enemy lines, Shadow of War makes sure you feel immersed in this fantasy setting. And if you love Lord of the Rings, that’s only more reason to pick up this great title.
- DRAGON BALL FighterZ (84% Off): Released in 2018, DRAGON BALL FighterZ is one of the most unique fighting games you’ll ever see. The cell-shaded visuals not only make the game look extremely show-accurate, but the fast-paced animations lead to spectacular looking combos during gameplay. If you’re a big fan of fighting games or Dragon Ball, you owe it to yourself to pick this one up—especially at such a massive discount.
- Ni No Kuni II (84% Off): Ni No Kuni II changes things up quite significantly compared to the original. Regardless, it’s still one of the best JRPGs on the market with unique gameplay mechanics and a fun story to tell. You command a small group of warriors in combat that you’ll get to know over the course of the game, and there are also loads of side characters to speak to as well. And, on top of all of this, the anime-style visuals are polished and look fantastic.
- ARK: Survival Evolved (80% Off): ARK is a survival game all about building yourself up. You start with nothing stranded on a beach, but as you continue playing you create tools, weapons, and shelter to survive the challenging environment. Dinosaurs roam this land, and if you want to survive, you’re going to need to find out how to tame them for your own bidding. Whether you’re cutting through the air on a Pteranodon or terrorizing creatures with a Tyrannosaurus Rex, you’re going to have a great time discovering the potential of the creatures you tame. Fair warning though, ARK is an infamously glitchy game, so don’t be surprised if you run into a few bugs while playing.
- Far Cry 5 (80% Off): Get ready to fight crazy cultists in Far Cry 5 while traversing the open lands of Montana, either on foot or in one of many vehicles. Far Cry 5 brings back many mechanics from older titles in the series, like animal taming from Far Cry Primal, in this grand game while also introducing new things to the series like character customization. It also places a much larger focus on melee combat compared to past entries.
During the Winter Sale, nearly every game on Steam is discounted to some extent, so you might as well go with the cream of the crop. So as we rapidly approach the end of the year, sit back and relax as you open up some new gaming experiences for yourself.