Update, 12/5/22: Checked content for accuracy, product availably, and dead links. Replaced VIVO Dual Computer Monitor Desk Freestanding Mount with VIVO Freestanding Dual Monitor Stand
While a monitor stand may look simple from the outside, there are a few things to consider.
- Mounting Type: All the stands on this list have VESA mounts, the standard mounting type for monitors. You’re going to need to make sure your monitors are VESA compatible, but that’s pretty easy; just look on the back of your monitor for four screw holes in a square formation. If those holes are there you’re good to go, but if not, you’ll need to find a compatible monitor if you still want a stand.
- Support: This mostly pertains to what size and weight monitor the stand can handle. Mounts will typically list their maximum supported weight and monitor size on the storefront, and we’ll cover it here as well. So before you buy, make sure you know how big your monitors are and look up their weight—just to be safe.
- Articulation: One of the primary benefits of monitor mounts is the increased flexibility when it comes to positioning. Articulation is what allows that, as the number of joints and how flexible those joints are determines just how much range you have available. Every stand on this list will allow you to angle, raise/lower, and orient your monitors between landscape and portrait modes.
- Clamp vs. Freestanding: The two main types of mounts you’ll see are desk clamps and freestanding mounts. Clamp mounts clamp onto a side of your desk, while freestanding ones rest atop your desk like a normal stand. Neither is really better than the other, it just comes down to personal preference.
- ✓ Supports monitors up to 32 inches
- ✓ Carries displays up to 19.8 pounds
- ✓ It comes in three colors
- ✗ Pricey
This clamp-on mount from Jarvis features a stylish exterior without sacrificing stability or articulation. It supports monitors up to 32 inches in size, can support weights up to 19.8 pounds, and features some internal cable management. Whether you want one monitor lower than the other, angled slightly, or positioned in portrait mode, the Jarvis mount lets you do it all. It’s also available in three colors: black, white, and silver.
Jarvis Monitor Mounting Arm
A sleek-looking monitor stand that features great stability and articulation.
- ✓ Supports monitors as heavy as 25 pounds
- ✓ Can mount displays as large as 32 inches
- ✓ Sturdy, all-metal construction
- ✗ Bulky
If you need something a bit heftier, then Amazon’s premium mount should do nicely. It supports monitors weighing up to 25 pounds and measuring 32 inches. While the clamp itself is bulky, it guarantees stability along with the all-metal construction of the arms themselves. There’s plenty of room for adjusting the position of your monitors, and you can even pick up the laptop tray (sold separately) and attach it in place of one of the monitor mounts. You can also get this mount in either black or silver.
Amazon Basics Premium Monitor Mount
This stand's bulky build ensures it can support heavier monitors.
- ✓ Supports monitors up to 20 pounds and 32 inches
- ✓ Extremely adjustable
- ✓ All-metal design
- ✗ Expensive
While this clamp-on mount from Ergotron is expensive, it makes up for that with a solid metal body, fully adjustable arms, and a sleek, modern exterior that’s sure to look great in your office. It can support monitors up to 20 pounds and 32-inches, and you can position your monitors in just about any way you can think of thanks to each arm’s numerous points of articulation. You can even stack the monitors on top of each other, but that’s only guaranteed to work for monitors under 24 inches.
There are some cable management routes to clean things up, an included laptop tray, and even arm extenders if you want your monitors more spaced out. The LX Dual Stacking Arm is also available in three colors: white, black, and polished aluminum.
ErgoTron LX Dual Stacking Arm
The most flexible stand on this list, even if it's a bit pricey.
- ✓ Can carry monitors up to 27 inches
- ✓ Supports screens up to 14.3 pounds
- ✓ Moderately priced
- ✗ Nothing remarkable
For the money, HUANUO’s stand offers a surprising amount of articulation and a sturdy build. It fits monitors up to 27 inches and 14.3 pounds and clamps onto your desk. It’s nothing remarkable, but if you’re on a tighter budget or don’t want to spend a lot on your mount, it’s a great option.
HUANUO Dual Monitor Stand
A solid stand that blends the premium and budget tiers.
- ✓ No clamps
- ✓ Support monitors up to 37 inches and 22 pounds
- ✓ Reasonable price
- ✗ Takes up desk space
If you dislike clamp-on mounts, VIVO’s stand should be right up your alley. It still allows for a good level of choice when it comes to monitor positioning, has internal cable management, and the base, while a bit bulky, helps ensure the stand won’t come toppling down. The stand can support monitors up to 37 inches (which opens the door for larger ultrawide monitors) and 22 pounds. It’s a nice set of features for a more than reasonable price; in the world of freestanding mounts, this is a great deal.
VIVO Dual Monitor Freestanding Mount
If you dislike clamp-on mounts, then this model from VIVO should be right up your alley.
- ✓ Comes on a stand
- ✓ Carries displays up to 27 inches and 22 pounds
- ✓ Rotates, angles, and positions monitors
- ✗ Small
But if you’re on a budget, then VIVO’s less expensive freestanding mount should still work fine for you. It’s smaller, only able to support monitors up to 27 inches and 22 pounds, but does a fine job for the money. You can still rotate, angle, and position your monitors anyway you want, so as long as your monitors will fit this is a great alternative.
It may not be able to support larger monitors, but for those on a budget it's a great option.
- ✓ Supports screens up to 27 inches and 22 pounds
- ✓ Fully articulated
- ✓ Inexpensive
- ✗ Doesn't support ultra-wide monitors
Speaking of smaller stands, if you’re looking for a clamp-on mount with full articulation but your monitors aren’t that big, then VIVO’s model can save you a bit of money while still delivering a quality product. This mount supports monitors up to 27 inches and 22 pounds and includes some cable management features as well.
VIVO Dual Monitor Mount
An inexpensive clamp-on mount that's great if you have smaller monitors.
- ✓ Carries monitors up to 27 inches and 14.3 pounds
- ✓ Attaches to your wall
- ✓ Cable management tools
- ✗ Hard to reposition after you attach it to the wall
One of the main benefits of a monitor mount is saving space on your desk, and this model from WALI takes that to the extreme. Instead of clamping onto or resting atop your desk, this mount screws into the wall to support your displays. The arms are highly adjustable, it can support monitors up to 27 inches and 14.3 pounds, and it has some clever cable management features to ensure things don’t look too messy. If you want to reclaim your entire desk, then this is the mount for you.
WALI Dual Monitor Wall Mount
If you want to save as much desk space as possible, then WALI has the solution.